When Projects Blossom

When you have camera related issues I suppose that sets you back a little with blog posting. That, and you know, life.

While I intended to post these on Valentine’s day, my camera’s SD card had other plans. Plans to stop working. I was afraid I was going to lose all these pictures of this jacket I’m calling my “cherry blossom” jacket. But, thankfully we were able to recover these, and many other photos. Phew. Crisis averted this time. “Cherry blossom” was a little bit of a process…but thanks to RIT dye, a trusty Vogue pattern, and a little bit of patience, it came together pretty well.

I used Vogue pattern #v9212. This is the third jacket I’ve completed from this pattern, so that should tell you what I think of it. ;) And actually, every one I’ve done I used some sort of dyeing technique. The first one I made, I used an ice-dyeing technique. For the second one, I made dye out of black walnut and used it for the back and sleeves. Those posts are here, and here.

So, I really wanted to find a cherry blossom print for this jacket. I searched and searched for fabric I liked and found one contender, but ultimately decided against it. That’s when the light bulb went off–I’ll make my own print!

I absolutely love dyeing and textiles, but I had never tried anything like this before. So, I knew I needed to come up with a plan if I wanted to execute the project effectively. First, I drew out a cherry blossom design on a sketchpad so I had an idea of scale and repeat.


Then, I cut out all my pieces, and laid them out and sketched my design with pencil on each pattern piece. For this version, I picked up some 100% white cotton twill, so the RIT dye I used would absorb nicely.

Then I mixed my dyes in bowls and used paint brushes to apply (check out my time lapse video on Insta). The red flowers didn’t turn out quite as red as I’d hoped, they actually look much more pink in the photos, too. But alas, the result was basically as I’d hoped.

What’s better than a bright pink lining, I mean really?

I used a lot of steam and definitely a press cloth while working on this. Since I painted on the design with brushes, some areas were a little more concentrated with dye and rubbed off. The press cloth protected the ironing board and iron, and the steam helped to set in the dye. I’m still not planning on throwing this one in the washing machine though, so I’ll likely opt for spot or dry cleaning.

Luckily, I had some extra red twill that I used for the facing–turns out it matched my dress pretty perfectly!

Overall, it definitely took quite a bit of time, but I had a lot of fun with this one. I can’t wait to wear “cherry blossom” through Spring. :)



Have you tried any new projects or techniques lately that turned out as you hoped?


Old Movie Inspired

Ask my husband, and he’ll tell you that almost every time we watch an old movie on TCM, I’m running over to the TV with my phone so I can get a picture of a costume that I find inspiring.

I was totally inspired for this next one…by Ann Miller in Two Tickets to Broadway. I used the same pattern  (M7513) as I did for the jacket in this post. And again, I also did some dyeing for it. Instead of marbling though, I did a full dunk of color. I used RIT dye again, and I did a little bit of color mixing (thanks to RIT’s website full of dye recipes) to achieve this periwinkle hue. Here’s how it came out:


It took a little searching to find some appliques I thought would work the best. I finally decided on these from Mood fabrics. They ended up giving just the look I was hoping for.

Leather look pants helped with that edgy aesthetic I was going for ;)

The trim I used was a combination of a normal braid trim with faux leather.

I contemplated making the collar the same periwinkle shade, but ultimately thought it would do well as a contrast piece.

Outfit details:

Belt: BCBGeneration (many years ago); Leather look pants from H&M (last year); Shoes: hand-me-down from a friend!

Ice Cold Blue

I did it again. I made another ice-dyed coat. I had been dreaming up this one for quite some time, but only just executed the project. And like a lot of projects in life…it didn’t come out the way I thought it would. But, you know what they say: good things happen by accident.

For this go-around, I first made the coat out of Vogue Pattern #9212 (instead of the basic coat style of my initial sketch) with a white twill fabric and then used your tried and true Rit Dyes to do the ice dyeing.

My sketch here:


I had actually anticipated it including a lot more white–to look more like traditional Shibori with indigo dye (kind of like the stuff in this post from a while ago) But, I think I was a bit overzealous with the dye this time around, so it ended up totally covered with blue. And even though it didn’t turn out how I had hoped…it still ended up pretty awesome.

dsc_1099-2 dsc_1117-2 dsc_1090-2 dsc_1111-2 dsc_1077-2 dsc_1120-2

I thought I would make the lining totally electric, since the coat shell turned out pretty dynamic.

dsc_1097-2 dsc_1121-2

I don’t currently have this listed in my Etsy shop, but if there is any interest in a custom version, please send an email my way. ;)

Remaining Outfit details:

Denim-Gap; Belt-an old men’s belt; Booties-Lucky Brand