It’s funny, as I sit here posting this and looking at the photos which were taken yesterday, and then look outside the window…something is missing. The snow. As you’ll see in the pics…there is snow on the ground. And less than 24 hours later, it is all gone. Weird how it can take a while to accumulate the 6+ inches we had, but only a fraction of the time to melt when it gets as high as 50 degrees.
Anywho, today I bring you a jacket I had planned for a while and got around to this past week, making it my very first make of 2018. And boy, oh boy…I sure hope the experience wasn’t an omen for the rest of my projects for the year. This one ALMOST got the best of me, you guys. Here’s why:
- The fabric was a pain in the a$$ to work with. As most fuzzy fabrics are…this one was worse. It shed terrrrribly, and each little tuft that shed would then separate itself into these tiny and fine, nearly invisible little fibers. I didn’t count…but I can tell you that I used way too many lint roller sheets on myself and I still don’t think I got all those little fibers off myself.
- My choice of contrasting fabric (faux leather with little to no stretch) meant I had to cut every piece (with the exception of the pocket flaps) longer. And unfortunately, I did not have the foresight for this before I started sewing. I probably should have-but sometimes those things just slip by…amiright? So, note:* if you plan on using this pattern and want to use faux leather for the contrast (collar, cuffs, lower band) buy extra, and cut each piece at least 1-2 inches longer than the actual pattern piece. It’s funny too, because when I bought the faux leather, it was the end of the bolt so I just got the extra quarter yard or so in addition to what I was buying. And as I was working through this jacket, I was certainly grateful I got that extra amount.
- Also note: if you have abnormally long arms (such as myself), then you’ll want to add a couple inches to the sleeve length as well. I’ll just be sporting mine as more of a 3/4 length. ;)
Those were really the main reasons for frustration throughout the process. Other than those, I am actually quite pleased with the way the fuzzy bomber came out. I used McCall’s pattern (#m7100) but added a lining.
I couldn’t tell you where the fuzzy fabric is from because my mom gave it to me and she had it laying around for a while. But the faux leather is from JoAnns.
It’s so interesting to me how details can make such a difference when you are designing/making something–especially a jacket. The kind of hardware especially can make or break the entire aesthetic of the piece. When I was choosing a zipper for this jacket, at first I had a basic plastic separating zipper picked out…but then found the gold tooth zipper and knew instantly it would seriously step up the jacket as a whole. Now that it’s finished, if I had gone with the plastic I don’t think it would have given the same impression.
I think she’s one whose versatility I’ll test out. I’ll dress her up and dress her down to see if she’s game for either. ;)